I’m all about the simple, enjoyable rituals in life. From relaxing showers complete with yummy smelling products, to a peaceful nighttime skincare routine filled with floral mists and natural oils. One newest addition that’s made the latter routine even more of a treat is a (quite beautiful) little skincare invention – the jade roller.
Now, I’ve been seeing jade rollers all over the place – blogs, Instagram, you name it. At first, it was skeptical – I saw it as merely another gimmick, and soon to be a fleeting trend. But then after doing a bit of reading on their benefits (and also learning how relatively cheap they are!), I figured, eh, why not give it a go? I’ve now used it consistently for a few weeks and I honestly cannot get enough of it!
If you’re new to jade rolling, here’s the lowdown on how it works, how you use it, and why I’m personally loving it…
The Benefits of Using a Jade Roller
Jade’s non-porous nature makes it hygienic and perfect to use on your face while jade facial rolling works wonders in giving you that radiant glow.
Pick up a piece of jade, and the first thing you’ll notice is that it’s fairly cool to the touch. When it comes in contact with the skin, it helps reduce facial puffiness, inflammation, and even dark circles (by thinning capillaries).
The simple act of massaging your skin can also help in so many ways by:
- increasing circulation and re-energizing the skin, improving its health and overall appearance
- relieving tension and loosening up your facial muscles
- stimulating collagen, improving elasticity, and reducing lines and wrinkles
- promoting lymphatic drainage and flushing toxins from your body
- helping with draining the extra fluid that collects around your eyes and cheeks, also reducing puffiness
- helping your products penetrate more deeply into your skin
And in the realm of crystal healing, jade is known as a powerful cleansing stone. It supposedly enhances our body’s filtration and elimination organs, removing toxins and balancing fluids. It’s also known as a protective stone that works to heal and balance our inner energies, and bring about a sense of harmony and balance.
How to Use a Jade Roller
The whole ‘rolling’ process is pretty self-explanatory, though if you’re just starting out, there definitely is a ‘better’ way to roll to maximum the skincare benefits, particularly when it comes to promoting lymphatic drainage – i.e. giving our underlying fluids a little ‘push’ to help flush out toxins. Here’s how most experts recommend using the jade roller:
- Start with a freshly cleansed face
- Apply your favorite serum, oil, mask, moisturizer, or sheet mask (this step is optional)
- Take the roller and gently, with only the weight of the roller, roll upwards and outwards
- Start at the base of your neck and roll up, continuing over the whole neck
- Roll from your jawline straight up towards the middle of your cheeks
- Make broad strokes from the middle of your chin out towards your ear (where the lymph drains from your face)
- Continue these broad strokes while gradually moving up your face
- When you get above the cheekbones, use the small end of the roller and move from the bridge of your nose out to your ear to get the sensitive skin under your eyes and eyebrows
- On the forehead, use the large end of the jade facial roller to roll from your eyebrows up to your hairline, and finish by rolling from the middle of the forehead out towards the temples
A few extra tips:
- Repeat each stroke at least three times.
- Always roll upwards & outwards to drain the lymph, never back & forth.
- Store your facial roller in the fridge for extra cooling effects
- Rolling as often as you like – everyday, or once a week. Though most people recommend at least 3-4 times a week.
Why I Love Using a Jade Roller
Since I received my little jade roller in the mail 3-4 weeks ago, I’ve been using it every day – morning and night – and I can’t imagine my routine with it.
In the morning, it’s a little treat I look forward to. The cool jade instantly ‘wakes-up’ my skin, reduces some of the puffiness, and leaves behind a natural healthy-looking glow. (It feels even better if you leave it in the fridge!)
And in the evening, when my skincare routine is a bit more involved, I’m use it to massage my skincare oils/serums into my skin. By pressing the products in with the roller, the formulas tend to absorb and ‘sink in’ more quickly (this really comes in handy if you have a multi-step routine, and want to get all the benefits of each product).
Some days, I’ll even use it on bare skin for a good 10-15 minutes, while watching YouTube vids and what not – it makes for a relaxing treatment that feels so good!
In terms of the effects, I began to notice that certain areas of my face looked more ‘lifted’ – particularly around my mouth and eyes – after about a week (I used it 2-3 times a day within that period). The little ‘puffy pockets’ under my eyes almost completely went away too! Overall, my skin definitely looked healthier – more invigorated and glowy, and also plumper and firmer.
All-in-all, a jade roller is an amazing little skincare treat for the face. I’d expect the anti-aging, de-puffing, and of course the metaphysical effects will differ from person to person. Regardless, there’s no denying that 1) the cooling effect of jade is a refreshing treat in the mornings, and 2) the massage aspect is relaxing, for the body and mind. And if you’re into ritualistic self-care practices that make you feel good, then there’s three reasons why I think you’ll enjoy it!
Interested in trying out a jade facial roller? Here’s the one I picked up by Ginger Chi!
Have you tried a facial roller? What are your thoughts on their benefits?