Update (3/17/2016): Check out my latest review to see a comparison of the new FOREO LUNA 2 vs the original LUNA!
I’ve always struggled with slightly imbalanced skin – no matter what I do, it tends to be either too dry or too oily. Like so many others, I purchased the Clarisonic Mia hoping that it would finally solve all my skin problems. After a few months of using it in my nightly skincare routine, I felt that I was getting a good cleanse, but overall, it wasn’t balancing out my skin. Worse of all, I started to see broken capillaries on my nose. After doing a little bit of research, I learned that the Clarisonic can be a bit too powerful and excessive for those of us with normal skin concerns (i.e. getting only the occasional acne here and there).
So for a while there, I had given up on all electric cleansing devices, particularly ones that utilized bristle brush heads to clean and exfoliate. I found the brushes were just too rough on the skin, and the over-cleansing made my skin produce more oil than usual, causing more congestion in my pores, and, well, more pimples. Now that’s not what I paid $200+ for, which included the initial cost of the device, plus the replacement brush heads which retail for around $20 each.
I eventually sold my Clarisonic, and for a while was just using (my favorite) Neutrogena cleanser along with a konjac sponge for some extra exfoliation. I was content with my skin care routine, though I still struggled with a few dry, pimply spots, which I just dealt with. So when FOREO contacted me to test out the new LUNA, I was excited to try out a cleansing device that used softer silicone pads. Plus, I was curious to see if it would provide a gentler, yet effective cleanse compared to the Clarisonic, which I imagined could be the missing piece in my skin care routine.
Introducing the FOREO LUNA (for Sensitive/Normal skin)
So this is what the packaging looks like, with the Elle Sweden Beauty Awards 2014 sticker on the top right. (I did some research and found that there are actually fake versions of the FOREO LUNA out there. One way you can tell they’re fake is if they’re missing this sticker. Just a tip if you’re thinking about buying this on eBay. I’ve had too many bad experiences buying beauty/perfume products there myself!)
The FOREO LUNA comes with a charger, little travel pouch, and some manuals to get you started right away. Everything is so compact and lightweight – there are no bulky storage or charging mechanisms. Now let’s take a look at the technology and benefits, as well as how to properly use the LUNA.
How Does the FOREO LUNA Work?
The FOREO LUNA uses a silicone facial brush made for sensitive to normal skin that channels both T-sonic pulsations for deep and gentle cleansing, and lower-frequency pulsations to reduce the signs of aging. If you take a look at the FOREO LUNA for Sensitive/Normal Skin in particular (the pink one), its brush surface features thinner silicone touch-points for gentle cleansing, with an area of thicker touch-points grouped towards the top for deeper, precision cleansing. The anti-aging surface on the reverse side consists of a series of concentric silicone waves.
What are the end results? The LUNA’s brush surface removes dead skin cells and unclogs pores of dirt, oil, and makeup residue, while enhancing the absorption of your favorite skincare products. Combined with the anti-aging side, the LUNA reduces the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles and leaves the skin looking and feeling firmer and more elastic.
How To Use The FOREO LUNA
FOREO suggests using the LUNA for two minutes twice daily. You can use it with any cleanser, with the exception of clay-based, silicone-based, or grainy cleansers, exfoliators, or scrubs, as they can cause wear to the silicon pads and ultimately shorten the life of your device.
The cleansing and anti-aging process looks like this: wet your face and apply cleanser, wet the brush surface, and then turn on the device. Use the LUNA to cleanse your face and work the product in for the full one minute, then rinse. Afterwards, you can apply the antiaging surface (shown in the photo below, on the back of the device) to any wrinkle-prone areas (forehead, laugh-lines, etc) for an additional minute.
My FOREO LUNA Review & Results
Straight out of the box, and after taking a look at the manual, there were some things I noticed right off the bat that impressed me. Here are a few of the things I found to be huge pluses when it came to the LUNA‘s design and functionality:
- ergonomical design – it sits comfortably in your hand, plus it allows you to hold it against your skin and let it do its job without worrying about applying too much pressure
- requires no replacement brushes
- has 8 different speed settings
- lasts up to 450 uses per full charge
Ok, so it was time to put the FOREO LUNA to the test. FOREO claims on their website that in ” just 3 days, you’ll feel the confidence that comes from having naturally beautiful, youthful-looking skin,” so I decided to give it the solid three-day run, and use it both morning and night. Here are some things I noticed after the first use, and after a full three days.
After the first use:
- skin was soft (like, incredibly soft!) and a majority of my dry skin was removed
- no redness or irritation
- skin was thoroughly cleansed, and no makeup was left on the skin (I use a toner after I wash my face, and I’ll typically see some leftover makeup on the pad, but I didn’t see anything on it after using the LUNA – no makeup, oil, or dry skin!)
After 3 days of use (morning and night):
- more even skin tone
- less dry patches and redness around my mouth and nose (so excited about this!!)
- oiliness decreased significantly (didn’t need to use my blotting tissues!)
- skin is glowing and incredibly soft!
My Overall Review
To me, the most impressive aspect of the FOREO LUNA is its exfoliating powers. Even though you can’t use scrubs or grainy cleansers with this, as they will likely damage the silicone brush, you don’t really need to use them with the device. The LUNA (quite impressively) does all the work for you.
After the three days of use, my skin was soft, hydrated, and dry-skin free. Prior to using the LUNA, I used to use a washcloth, scrub, or konjac sponge several times a day to get rid of my dry, flaky skin. Since adding the LUNA to my daily routine, I haven’t had to use any additional exfoliating scrub, cloth or sponge. Talk about a return on your investment when you find you don’t need to re-purchase these products!
The LUNA’s anti-aging aspect is another little plus. After you cleanse, you turn it on to the Anti-Aging Mode, which is where “lower-frequency pulsations are directed through concentric silicone waves onto wrinkle-prone areas to smooth the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles,” as FOREO explains on their website. I actually did notice a difference in my forehead and my laugh lines around my mouth. But that could also have been due to the lack of dry skin on my face, and better absorption of my moisturizers. I’ll never know for sure, but to me the extra minute is worth it, and I even find it a bit relaxing!
It has been a few weeks since I started using the LUNA, and I have now officially incorporated it into my skin care routine. I can’t go without it honestly – I hate the feeling that there’s still leftover makeup or dead skin cells on my face, and I know it gets rid of everything!
Clarisonic Mia vs FOREO LUNA
After giving both the Clarisonic Mia and the FOREO LUNA a try, I gathered up the pros and cons for each device based on my experience and overall results. Here are my thoughts on the FOREO LUNA vs Clarisionic Mia:
Clarisonic Mia Pros:
- Very deep cleanse (good if you have a serious problem with pore congestion)
- Easy to use on the neck and decollete
Clarisonic Mia Cons:
- Rough on my face, even when using the sensitive brush heads (can cause broken capillaries, especially on the nose area or wherever you may have sensitive skin)
- Can over-cleanse the skin, causing dry patches or extra oil production
- Difficult to maneuver around the nose and eyes due to it’s size and flat surface
- Need to replace brush heads every couple of months
FOREO LUNA Pros:
- Excellent cleanse – removes all traces of makeup
- Fits around nose easily, especially around the sides of the nose
- Very gentle, especially around the nose (causes no redness or irritation)
- Eliminates most of the dryness and evens out oily/dry patches
- Leaves skin soft and glowy, and evens overall skin tone
- Easy to clean (just hold it under running water)
- Lasts up to 450 uses per full charge
- Requires no replacement brushes
- Is self standing and looks cute on counter!
FOREO LUNA Cons:
- Doesn’t completely remove all the pore congestion around your nose and cheeks, but seemed to at least lift it all to the surface (I’ll then use a blackhead/whitehead extractor to do the rest)
- Isn’t designed for use on the neck and decollete
For me, the benefits of the FOREO LUNA completely outweigh those of the Clarisonic Mia! For someone struggling with your average skin problems (occasional acne, oily or dry spots), I would definitely recommend the FOREO LUNA over the Clarisonic Mia. However, if you suffer from serious acne or pore congestion, the Clarisonic Mia might be the better choice to get that deeper cleanse and exfoliation. Just keep in mind that it does come with a few drawbacks.
Shop on Amazon…
Update (3/17/2016): Check out my latest review to see a comparison of the new FOREO LUNA 2 vs the original LUNA.