A long day in the sun, a 6-hour airplane ride, an intense workout session – these things can leave our skin parched or irritated, and in need of some soothing and moisture. Could REN’s new Evercalm Ultra Comforting Rescue Mask be our skin savior? Here are my thoughts.
REN Evercalm Ultra Comforting Rescue Mask
REN’s Evercalm Ultra Comforting Rescue Mask is a 10-minute rescue mask, specially formulated with soothing and calming ingredients that work to reduce redness, itchiness and discomfort while also increasing the skin’s ability to cope and recover from stress. Use anytime your skin is in need of some rescue – up to 3 times per week – including:
- after a day out in the sun
- during/after travel to restore tired skin
- to soothe skin after a more intensive facial mask or treatment (acidic or drying charcoal/clay)
- after an intense exercise session
- after being exposed to intense wind, cold/dry weather, etc.
Recommend For: All skin types in need of attention. (According to REN, this mask is safe to use on rosacea, acne, eczema-prone skin and sensitive skin, however they recommended carrying out a patch test on the inside of your elbow first just to make sure.)
- White Mushroom Extract – blocks irritation, creates an instant sensation of calm and comfort, combats inflammation, replenishes with moisture
- Yeast Compound – accelerates recovery after stress with potent antibacterial and antihistamine effects
- Arnica – reduces redness.
- Roman Chamomile Scent – relaxing, and calming for both body and mind
Full ingredients list: Water, Glycerin, Cetearyl Alcohol, Caprylyl Caprylate/Caprate, Olus Oil, Lactobacillus Ferment, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea) Butter, Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Wax, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Cetearyl Glucoside, Propanediol, Algae Extract, Cetyl Alcohol, Lactobacillus, Alpha-Glucan Oligosaccharide, Parfum* (Fragrance), Tocopheryl Acetate, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Panthenol, Carbomer, Vaccinium Vitis-Idaea (Lingonberry) Seed Oil, Xanthan Gum, Arnica Montana Flower Extract, Camelina Sativa Seed Oil, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Fruit Extract, Tocopherol, Magnesium Carboxymethyl Beta-Glucan, Malachite Extract, Albatrellus Ovinus Extract, Laminaria Ochroleuca Extract, Glucose, Phenoxyethanol, Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Oil, Citric Acid, Sodium Hydroxide, Rosmarinus Officinalis Leaf Extract, Citronellol, Geraniol, Limonene, Linalool. (*100% Natural Fragrance)
REN products, including their Evercalm Ultra Comforting Rescue Mask, are free from synthetic fragrances, pore-blocking petrochemicals, sulfate detergents, silicones, synthetic colors, animal ingredients, parabens, along with a laundry list of potential irritants.
How to Apply:
- Apply a generous amount onto clean skin, avoiding the eye area.
- Leave on for 10 minutes.
- Gently remove any excess with a damp cloth or cotton pad.
- Follow with your usual skin care routine.
REN Evercalm Ultra Comforting Rescue Mask
The REN Evercalm Ultra Comforting Rescue Mask features a creamy, mousse-like consistency that feels incredibly comforting and also slightly cooling starting the second you apply it. The mask’s subtle scent of chamomile is light and calming, and lingers only slightly as you wear the mask.
Depending on how much you apply, the nourishing oils, butters, and plant essences can take anywhere from a few minutes to 10 minutes to completely sink in. On the days when I apply only a thin, light layer, the initial white cast of the mask will disappear and the formula will absorb within what seems to be the first minute! However, on days when I apply two thicker layers (typically when my skin is extra thirsty or irritated), it often times takes the full 10 minutes to absorb.
Once the mask has sunk in, my skin will feel soothed with less redness, and also 100% re-hydrated. (The mask actually leaves behind a thin layer of oil that doubles as a moisturizer so long as you don’t remove it completely.) What I love most about the REN Evercalm Mask is how it plumps my skin – I’ll notice a baby-smoothness and ‘bounciness’ when I go to touch it. 🙂
REN Evercalm Ultra Comforting Rescue Mask heavily applied (two layers)
Skin after applying 2 thick layers and letting it sink in. As you can see, it leaves behind a light layer of oil (which also creates a little bit of a glow).
According to Sephora, REN’s Evercalm Mask is ‘the perfect makeup starter mask’, but I’d have to disagree. If you follow the instructions and remove it with a cool washcloth or cotton pad, it still leaves behind a rather oily layer over the skin (as shown in the photo above). I tried twice to apply foundation over top, using two different brand formulas, and both were extremely patchy, and one even formed tiny rolls and peeled off. So lesson learned – if you’re using this in the morning, go with a lighter layer, make sure to remove any excess oil that’s still sitting on the skin, THEN apply your makeup. 😉
Overall, after trying out the REN Evercalm Mask for the past couple of weeks, I’m already hooked. It’s actually one of the most convenient and unique calming masks I’ve come across so far for these reasons:
- it works quickly and takes only 5 minutes to absorb if you use a light layer
- you don’t need to rinse it off – just remove the excess with a damp cloth/cotton pad (or simply massage the rest of it down your neck/décolleté!)
- the tube packaging is ultra-lightweight and portable – you can easily toss it in your hiking/camping/gym bag, and then can pop it out whenever you need a quick fix
- it doubles as a moisturizer, and makes the skin glow! (works best if you don’t apply makeup over-top though)
I can already see myself reaching for this mask throughout the summer…after a long day in the sun or hot day out hiking! It delivers instant calm and instant hydration, and is especially amazing for those no-makeup days.
Available at Sephora & REN Skincare
Have you tried the REN Evercalm Ultra Comforting Rescue Mask?