When it comes to pampering ourselves, a good facial mask is a must. Not only does this little ritual help us to de-stress and relax, it also helps our skin look and feel its best. Whether you’re looking to soothe, smooth, hydrate, or detox, there are masks out there for every need – here are a few of my absolute favorites!
Brighten & Revive
When my skin is looking tired and in need of a wake-up call, I reach for Kiehl’s Turmeric & Cranberry Seed Energizing Radiance Masque. This multi-tasking mask works to naturally re-invigorate and re-energize skin to gradually bring back its healthy, natural glow. Using cranberry and turmeric, it provides gentle exfoliation, increases circulation, and brightens the skin.
How to Use: Use this mask after cleansing and toning skin. Apply a light, even layer, and allow the mask to dry for 5-10 minutes. Wash off by gently massaging the mask to get that extra exfoliation from the crushed cranberry seeds.
Why it Works: This 2.5 fl oz jar is contains two powerful antioxidants, including:
- Turmeric extract: Known for its antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties, and treats skin imperfections and improve the brightness of skin.
- Cranberry extract: A berry rich in antioxidants and natural source of resveratrol.
- Cranberry seeds: The crushed seeds gently exfoliate the skin as you wash the mask off, leaving skin feeling renewed and looking more energized and radiant.
Deep Clean & Detoxify
For an amazingly deep cleanse and detoxifying experience, the Perfectly Posh’s Cackle Spackle is my new ‘holy grail’ face mask. It’s an intensive mask that uses a combination of charcoal powder, volcanic ash, kaolin clay, and glycolic acid to get deep down into pores and draw out impurities. Spearmint and eucalyptus also help tone the skin, while adding a refreshing, yet subtle minty scent.
How to Use: Apply to a clean, dry face, avoiding eye area. Let it work it’s magic for 5–10 minutes, then rinse off and follow with a moisturizer.
Why it Works: This detox treatment is formulated with a powerhouse of exfoliating and clarifying ingredients:
- Allantoin: A natural anti-inflammatory that moisturizes and soothes irritated skin and stimulates new skin growth, improving its texture.
- Volcanic Ash: Has anti-bacterial, anti-viral, anti-yeast and overall disinfectant qualities. Volcanic Ash is high in Sulphur, an active mineral ingredient which helps the body to destroy and resist bacteria.
- Charcoal: Activated charcoal draws bacteria, poisons, chemicals, dirt and other micro-particles to the surface of skin, helping you to achieve a flawless complexion and fight acne.
- Glycolic Acid: Sloughs off dead skin cells to reveal smoother, brighter, younger looking skin while reducing fine lines, acne, blackheads, dullness, and oiliness.
- Kaolin: Helps to cleanse and exfoliate dead skin cells and debris from the surface.
- Plus aloe vera, safflower oil, sunflower oil, and vitamin E
Soothe & Re-Hydrate
After a long day in the sun, the makes for an ultra soothing, hydrating, and refreshing treat. This ultra-gentle gel mask cools, intensely hydrates, and calms skin on contact using botanical extracts of cucumber, papaya, chamomile, pineapple, sugar maple, sugarcane, orange, lemon, bilberry, and aloe. It also works great on irritated skin after using peels, waxing, or facials. Cucumber Gel Mask
How to Use:
- Slather this cooling green gel on clean skin and allow it to sink into the skin for a good 10 minutes. You can even use it under the eyes to help reduce the look of puffiness. Rinse with cool water afterwards.
- For an extra refreshing treatment, store it in the refrigerator – the cold gel feels amazing after a hot day!
- For an intensive treatment, apply a thin layer as the last layer of skin care and leave on overnight. Use 2-3 times a week or daily for intensive hydration.
Why it Works: This ultra-refreshing treatment is formulated with these botanical extracts:
- Cucumber Extract: Helps to naturally nourish, hydrate, comfort, soothe, calm, and de-puff the appearance of skin.
- Papaya Extract: Rich in vitamins and a natural enzyme that helps to soften the appearance of skin.
- Chamomile Extract: Helps to comfort and soothe skin.
- Pineapple Extract: Contains a natural enzyme that helps to soften the skin
- Whole Leaf Aloe Vera: Helps skin heal faster after sunburn and replenish its moisture.
Smooth & Soften
When my skin is looking a bit dull or dehydrated, I reach for the . Similar to the Cucumber Gel Mask, it’s a cooling, soothing gel mask, only it uses a combination of rose stem cells and rose extract to help hydrate the skin and counteract visible signs of aging. I get instant results from this one – my skin is left looking and feeling silky smooth, and more even and radiant. Rose Stem Cell Bio-Repair Gel Mask
How to Use: Apply generously on clean skin and allow mask to remain on for 10 minutes. Rinse with cool water. For an intensive treatment, refrigerate and apply as a mask or apply a thin layer as the last layer of skin care and leave on overnight. Use 2-3 times a week or daily for intensive repair.
Why it Works: This mask is formulated with rose stem cells for maximum anti-age benefit:
- Desert Rose: Helps support natural surface cell regeneration, supports skin barrier, and helps restore suppleness.
- Damask Rose: Helps to tighten pores, purify, smooth, and fight the signs of aging.
- Rose Commiphora: Has anti-redness properties.
- Pale Rose: Helps to rebuild the moisture barrier; provides skin suppleness and softness for the appearance of newer, softer skin.
(Try out both the Rose and Cucumber masks in these sample kits: Peter Roth Thomas Mask Sampler Kit and .) Mask-A-Holic Kit
Julep Night Shift is a non-greasy, ultra-hydrating mask that works to transform your complexion while you sleep. Using a powerful blend of peptides and soothing botanicals, this mask helps you wake up to brighter, smoother, and firmer skin.
How to Use: Massage a thin, even layer on before bed. The mask reaches deep to stimulate cell turnover & skin renewal as you sleep.
Why it Works: This 2.8oz tube is packed with hydrating and exfoliating ingredients, including:
- Sodium Hyaluronate: The ultimate skin moisturizer. It penetrates deep into skin, and attracts & holds onto water. This means mega-moisture with long-term staying power.
- Lactic/Glycolic Acid Copolymer: A naturally occurring, gentle exfoliator that preps the skin for cell turnover and renewal.
- Peptides: Stimulate cell activity and signal the collagen to start producing. They also protect the skin you already have to prevent any further degradation.
- Power Cell Complex™ Julep’s proprietary age-defying, skin-boosting ingredient. (Read more about it here.)
- Botanical Extracts: Shea butter, milk thistle, coconut & sunflower seed oil, and vitamin E keep your skin supple by replenishing the natural oils.
What are some of your favorite facial masks to use during spa night?