This post is part of a sponsored campaign with JAFRA Cosmetics.
Every so often, I like to switch up my skincare routine and experiment with new products and formulations. My most recent regimen focuses entirely on a new range from the Cali-based beauty brand JAFRA Cosmetics. Their latest Boost skincare line features skin type-specific products all infused with a natural ingredient I’ve been curious about for a while now – royal jelly.
What is Royal Jelly?
Royal jelly, aka “Bee Milk”, is a protein-rich excretion from the glands of worker bees that’s used to nourish both larvae and the adult queen bees (1). It’s an incredibly nutrient-rich liquid that has been used in beauty routines for centuries. Thanks to royal jelly’s high water (60-70%) and fatty acid content, it provides moisturizing benefits and protects skin from dehydration. It also contains amino acids and minerals like silicon, which increase collagen production (2), plus antioxidants, vitamins, and nutrients (like flavonoids and B vitamins), which support skin renewal, making royal jelly one powerful anti-ager! To top it off, RJ has natural anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties, so it can help minimize and prevent pimples too.
How to Incorporate RJ into Your Beauty Routine
Raw, unprocessed royal jelly can be used on its own and applied directly to the skin as an overnight mask or a daily lotion. It’s typically available refrigerated, frozen, freeze-dried, and should always be kept in the fridge as its contents can quickly deteriorate.
You can also find royal jelly in all sorts of skincare products, including lotions, soaps, and cleansers, making it easy to incorporate it into your daily routine. If you’re just starting out, I recommend swapping out your daily moisturizer as this is where royal jelly’s hydrating abilities really shine. If you’re willing to take a deeper dive, try out a full skincare regimen – cleanser, lotion, mask, and sunscreen – that contains royal jelly.
*One thing to note is that royal jelly may cause allergic reactions. As with all bee products, test a small sample first to make sure you’re not allergic!
Feeling a bit adventurous, I jumped right in and swapped out my entire skincare routine with JAFRA’s Boost line. Why JAFRA? Well, for one, all of their skincare products feature an innovative, scientifically-advanced form of royal jelly, called Royal Jelly RJX, which increases the natural power of royal jelly – on an exponential level – and feeds skin with potency for more noticeable effects. What’s more is that the products incorporate superfood ingredients too, like antioxidant-rich matcha, spinach, and watermelon. Their SPF products also offer sun protection, plus blue light filtration, which may help reduce premature aging (3). Question was, where to start?
JAFRA ROYAL Boost Skin Care Rituals
JAFRA ROYAL Boost currently offers two separate ranges, aka ‘rituals’, for different skin-types: normal/combo/oily and dry/sensitive. There are 4 core products in each range, plus makeup cleansing wipes that are formulated for all skin types.
Here’s a quick rundown of what’s included in each range:
- JAFRA ROYAL Boost Micellar Cleansing Water
- JAFRA ROYAL Boost Skin Drench Gel Mask
- JAFRA ROYAL Boost Quench It Moisturizer
- JAFRA ROYAL Boost Play It Safe Sunscreen Broad Spectrum SPF 30
- JAFRA ROYAL Boost Cleanse & Tone Wipes
- JAFRA ROYAL Boost Purifying Gel Cleanser
- JAFRA ROYAL Boost Detox Clay Mask
- JAFRA ROYAL Boost Matte Control Moisturizer
- JAFRA ROYAL Boost Cover Me Sunscreen Broad Spectrum SPF 30
- JAFRA ROYAL Boost Cleanse & Tone Wipes
My Experience Using JAFRA ROYAL Boost
Since my skin craves richer, more emollient formulas in the fall and winter months, I opted for the dry/sensitive range for 5 out of the 6 products. The sixth product I grabbed from the normal/combo/oily range since I needed a more rigorous, wash-away cleanser to combat congestion in my T-zone. Here’s what my routine looked like since the beginning of December:
Morning Routine –
- First, I’ll soak a reusable cotton pad with the Micellar Cleansing Water and gently swipe it across my face and neck. I love that it lifts away dirt and gunk without drying out my skin. It also contains soothing aloe plus matcha to protect and energize.
- Next, I’ll apply the Quench It Moisturizer. It’s a lightweight and cushiony, yet hydrating formula that instantly quenches my skin. The best part? It’s fast-absorbing and leaves my skin feeling plump and supple.
- Finally, I’ll apply the Play It Safe Sunscreen SPF 30, which goes on smoothly and leaves my skin perfectly primed for makeup.
Evening Routine –
As a cleansing pre-step, I’ll use the Cleanse + Tone Wipes to remove foundation and especially stubborn eye makeup.
- For a deep-down clean, I’ll reach for the Purifying Gel Cleanser. It polishes with micro-exfoliators while mineral particles help unclog pores, and it leaves my skin incredibly smooth, energized, and glowy. The formula is a bit intense though, so go easy and apply with light pressure if you have more sensitive skin.
- I’ll finish off with either the Quench It Moisturizer, or the watermelon-infused Skin Drench Gel Mask (which I’ll use as an overnight mask). The cushiony gel formula blankets my skin in a layer of soothing hydration and makes my skin feel so supple come morning. (These two are by-far my favorites from JAFRA’s Boost range!)
I followed this routine for the past two weeks and noticed improvements in my skin starting day one. The Purifying Gel Cleanser got to work immediately, removing flakes and dry spots, and revealing smoother, more renewed skin. The Quench It Moisturizer and Skin Drench Gel Mask – the two standouts for me – quenched my newly rejuvenated skin with intense hydration that lasted all day and night. After just 24 hours, my skin was feeling amazingly soft and supple. This only continued as the days went on – my skin gradually regained a more glowing, youthful appearance with diminished fine lines.
Before & after (over 2 weeks)
Above is a little before & after of my eye area, where I noticed the biggest difference when it came to dryness relief and improved plumpness. My results are still fairly subtle since it’s only been two weeks (they’re also not the easiest to capture on camera), however, even this early in the game, I’m impressed! I plan to continue this routine through the end of the month to see if I notice any further improvements.
Overall, if you’re interested in incorporating royal jelly into your daily routine, especially in the coming winter months, I’d highly recommend checking out JAFRA’s innovative RJ formulations. For starters, I’d suggest trying out their Skin Drench Gel Mask and/or the Quench It Moisturizer – they’re both super hydrating and great for drier skin!
Have you tried adding royal jelly to your skincare?